Wednesday, September 20, 2006

if i haven't heard it, it's new to me

Today was (finally!) the day we gave the Nickle Museum all the stuff we made for them, and according to our arrangement, they should be giving us a cheque. It hardly seems fair....we had to carry in three large heavy boxes of metalwork, whereas a cheque is light and comfortable to walk around with. The gold plating festival of '06 is somewhat ongoing. Turns out complicated chemical processes are....complicated. We went to ACAD today for an opening, and one of my former teachers was telling Kathleen and I about watching them goldplating in Africa in a teacup on the side of the road. We said, "replace teacup with measuring cup, and side of the road with a garage, and that's us....". Anyway, it's good to be (mostly) done. Especially after staying up until six in the morning last night to put everything on cards and label. With Kaylen, who is now voted Best Friend Of the Rivet Kitchen, for staying up ridiculous hours to help with something that is both boring and non-applicable to her life. And for lightening-quick cat catching reflexes.

Anyway, now for the first time in the long time I have Nothing To Do. Which gives me plenty of time to grow fat off the resources of the house I am sitting. For instance, stealing some of their decent music collection, which I will be forthwith commenting upon. Mostly stuff that's been around for a while that I kind of wanted to buy, but remained faithful to my habit of picking up cd's and going, "twenty five dollars! that'll happen!".

Mermaid Avenue Vol.2: Billy Bragg and Wilco.

The general uncreative-ness of most songwriters has ruined more than one good idea I've had for a theme cd. For instance, the one I want to make about airplane songs. So far I have "You are an Airplane" by Of Montreal, and "Airplane to Heaven", which leads off this brilliant cd. I used to listen to this back in Roasterie Too days, when Paul used to play it while both baking and getting more and more irritated as I put Airplane to Heaven on repeat. On the airplane to heaven, you are totally still allowed to bring toothpaste and water bottles.

Speak for Yourself- Imogen Heap.

The first time I heard a song from this cd was when my sister was downloading stuff and started playing "Hide and Seek", and it was enough to prod me out of my couch stupor and go, "what is THAT?". Anyway, it is also a very lovely cd which I am pleased to steal. I just have two main comments. One, that although this is good stuff, I am not sure why she started a solo career to make music that sounds exactly like the music she made in Frou Frou. Two, I am thankful for the song lyrics, "why'd you have to be so cute?/it's impossible to ignore you" because I can sing it to both boyfriends and cats.

Central Reservation- Beth Orton.

This is another one from back in my Roasterie days. Back in simpler times when the main way I heard new music is when other employees left their cd's behind like metaphorical eggs for my musical easter basket. Beth Orton....everyone you know likes her, from the flakiest of hippie chicks to international hip hop artists. However, I have nothing funny to say about this one. In fact, I often get the feeling that if you listened to too much Beth Orton, you'd end up heavily sedated and restrained with no funny thoughts ever again. Gee Beth, am I sad enough yet?

Anything else worth stealing? Yes. But I'm tired now.

2 Comments:

Blogger kaylen said...

what about destroyer's "it's gonna take an airplane"?

September 21, 2006 7:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could come up with lots of airplane songs.
Also, I am good for many things, one of which is introducing you to music you like. I know you hate a lot of what I listen to but face it, I've given you some great things. Evidence A: Kris Demeanor. where would you be without me.

September 21, 2006 1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker